Our History

Holy Cross 1913

History of Holy Cross

The cornerstone of Holy Cross Church was laid on August 24, 1890 and the Church was completed in March of 1891.

  • In 1891 Mr. Eugene Scherer opened Holy Cross Grade School with 80 students.
  • In 1891 the Benedictine Sisters took charge of the grade school.
  • By 1908 the grade school enrollment had increased to 354 students, the need for a new school was critical.
  • The current building was erected in 1914.
  • In 1930 the current high school was built.
  • The parish center was built in 1960 and was used by the high school and the grade school.
  • Kindergarten was opened in 1990 and continues to grow.


Current facts about Holy Cross Elementary:

  • Current enrollment is 190 students in K-8.  
  • Father Thomas Barnes is the Pastor of Holy Cross Parish.
  • Ms. Mary Ellen Matts is the principal and acts as spiritual leader to the staff, the students and the parents.
  • The school provides Art, Music, Physical Education, Computer, Spanish and Library.
  • There is a very active PTO for parent involvement.
  • There is an After-school program that operates from 2:30 – 6:00 PM each day.


School Motto

 “Small enough to care, large enough to excel.”

  • Holy Cross Elementary is considered a generational school.  
  • Each year 95 – 100% of the students go onto Holy Cross District High school.
  • 40 – 50% of the graduates receive scholarships each year.
  • Student sports include football, basketball, cheerleading, cross-country, and volleyball.
  • The school competes in Olympics of the Mind, Academic Team, Spelling Bee, Diocesan Competition, and the National Geographic Geography Bee.


Centennial Celebration

Below is a link to the River City News article that was done to commemorate our centennial of the Holy Cross Elementary School Building!