History of Holy Cross
The cornerstone of Holy Cross Church was laid on August 24, 1890 and the Church was completed in March of 1891.
- In 1891 Mr. Eugene Scherer opened Holy Cross Grade School with 80 students.
- In 1891 the Benedictine Sisters took charge of the grade school.
- By 1908 the grade school enrollment had increased to 354 students, the need for a new school was critical.
- The current building was erected in 1914.
- In 1930 the current high school was built.
- The parish center was built in 1960 and was used by the high school and the grade school.
- Kindergarten was opened in 1990 and continues to grow.
Current facts about Holy Cross Elementary:
- Current enrollment is 190 students in K-8.
- Father Thomas Barnes is the Pastor of Holy Cross Parish.
- Ms. Mary Ellen Matts is the principal and acts as spiritual leader to the staff, the students and the parents.
- The school provides Art, Music, Physical Education, Computer, Spanish and Library.
- There is a very active PTO for parent involvement.
- There is an After-school program that operates from 2:30 – 6:00 PM each day.
“Small enough to care, large enough to excel.”
- Holy Cross Elementary is considered a generational school.
- Each year 95 – 100% of the students go onto Holy Cross District High school.
- 40 – 50% of the graduates receive scholarships each year.
- Student sports include football, basketball, cheerleading, cross-country, and volleyball.
- The school competes in Olympics of the Mind, Academic Team, Spelling Bee, Diocesan Competition, and the National Geographic Geography Bee.
Below is a link to the River City News article that was done to commemorate our centennial of the Holy Cross Elementary School Building!